I’m going to let you in on a little secret…for years I was scared to acknowledge to my customers that I worked a full time job in conjunction with crafting my skincare line. In my mind, I thought if people knew I also had a full time job they would discredit all the passion I put into my products.
Within the past 6 months or so on Instagram I have noticed shops that I admire and follow, discuss the trials of holding down full time jobs while at the same time trying to conserve enough energy at the end of the day to pour into their passion when they get home in the evening, after they attend to their family obligations. These women had the courage to keep it real…I on the other hand, had some work to do!
So now that I have basically layed out all of my inner most feelings to you, I might as well keep talking right? LOL!! As a wife, mother of two children and a full time employee, finding time to do what I enjoy can be very hard. It is easy to feel overwhelmed, and make your family feel like they come second to your passion when you are up against a tight deadline. That, however, defeats the whole purpose!
I recently listened to the Make Life Rich podcast (www.makeliferich.libsyn.com) hosted by Tara Pringle Jefferson and Da’Shika Street. Their second podcast was about setting business boundaries. We all hear you can’t pour from an empty cup, but to hear these female entrepreneurs speak candidly about how things can spiral out of control and affect your closest relationships hit home. They shared some great ways on how they manage their passion with their lives and how it has led to more happiness in their lives.
Their podcast got me thinking! Here are a few of the boundaries I have recently put into practice and I have more to add, believe me! However for now, this is what I have:
- It’s ok to say “No”. I hate to hurt other people’s feelings, but I have learned that if I expend all my energy on others then I am going to be useless to myself and my family. My weekends are sacred and it’s not personal, but I rather just stay home. I only get 2 days for Pete’s sake! LOL!!
- It’s ok to say “No” to family. That’s right, you can tell them No too! LOL!! They are your family so they have to love you regardless.
- Listen to your body. Stop before you get to the point where you say “I literally can’t do anymore.” If you reach that point it takes twice as long to recover.
- Avoid negative situations and people at ALL cost! (Maybe I should have put this as #1).
- Lastly, practice Self Care on a weekly basis. Do something just for you! It doesn’t have to cost a lot of money. Here are a few suggestions. Take a shower or bath with one of your favorite soaps or bath salts (If you don’t know where to look for one…check out my site. LOL!!). Treat yourself to your favorite Local Bakery. Grab a coffee from your favorite spot, tune out the world and read a good book.
What boundaries are you looking to implement in 2019? Why do you need to wait until January? Can you start today? No matter what you decide, be sure to care for yourself!
Are you on the hunt for an all natural product to help you pamper your skin? Check out our Spa Gift Sets.
Please be sure to sign up to join my CreamedSoaps VIP Email List so you can take advantage of special sales and promotions.
Amber L. Matthews, Soap Artisan